Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Swim rebellion

In elementary school, I took swim lessons. They were fantastic! After nearly drowning when I was seven, my new-found ability to not drown in the deep end was something I enjoyed.

In the third grade, I was in one of the advanced classes that got to swim in the deep pool. After one particular lesson, my teacher promised us that we would get to play a game... after we did the front stroke across the pool and back.

This didn't sit well with me. I was tired and didn't particularly feel like getting water up my nose and getting more tired. Plus, I always seemed to swim lopsidedly, ending up far away from my intended destination, so it was a bit awkward for me.

So I did something I had never done to an authority figure before (except for parents). I said NO.

The swim teacher asked me why. I said I didn't want to. She asked me to do it in a politer voice. I said no. She told me to do it. I said no. She threatened me with punishment. I took the punishment.

While the other kids played sharks and minnows, I sat on a swivel chair beside the pool (still not sure why there was a swivel chair right next to the pool), shivering in my wet swimsuit. When my mom picked me up, my teacher told her of my rebellion and I was further punished at home.

I can't remember if I continued with swim lessons or not after that. But since that day, I've hated front stroke and avoid it whenever possible.

No comments: